Thoughts Right Now

she's learning the spaces she leaves have their own things to say

Friday, July 15, 2005

Is it because we're just LAZY??

Pastor Bill Young is an amazing guy. He has the courage and ability to reach out to a demographic that few people even want to think about. I have learned so much from him, and have no doubt that I will continue to learn for as long as I have the privilege of attending his sermons.
However, I’m a little worried by my friends’ apparent blind following of whoever is in the pulpit. I don’t doubt that Pastor Bill knows what he’s talking about and there are very few, if any issues that I really disagree with him about. But that’s not the point.
I don’t like seeing people believe a certain way or think a certain thing just because it came out of our pastor’s mouth. I do think that one of a pastor’s jobs is to help people on their spiritual journey. They can have amazing insight into God’s word. But I also think they need to be questioned from time to time. People should take what they learn in church, go home, and investigate it themselves. Find out if it’s really what the Bible says. Find out if it’s really what they believe.

People in positions of authority should WANT to be questioned. They should want to be held accountable for the things they’re telling the people they’re leading (this could apply in other areas too…politics, parent-child relationships, etc.). I think that’s one of the huge problems in this country. We’re taught not to question those who are “higher up”. They start doing crazy things because they’re not accountable to anyone. There’s a level of responsibility that comes with leading a group of people. I think everyone involved takes it WAY too lightly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home